Bows are the staple weapon of an archer. An archer/archeress can only be as skilled as his/her bow. No matter how skilled and adept a person may be behind the bow, if the weapon is not high quality, he would not be able to utilize his skills properly. So, it can be said without any doubt that choosing the right kind of bow is detrimental to success in such an area. It is commonly said that the skill of a weapon holder only depends on his own ability, not the weapon. However, in reality, this can’t be applied. If a person can’t even connect with the bow, how can they expect to use it effectively? Regarding that, choosing a perfect bow can be a hard decision. This guide is meant to help you take that decision.
Types of Bows:
Different types of bows have existed throughout history. They are found in many shapes, forms, size, etc. They differ in their range, handling, weight, length. But their primary use is the same, i.e. to shoot an arrow. Still, there are a few types of bows you should know about. Although they may differ in certain factors, giving birth to many different types, the primary types remain the same.
- Recurve Bows – This is the type of bow which is used in the Olympic events. It is distinguishable from other boys, owing to the classic shape of the bow. The central part of the bow curves towards the archer, while the corner or limbs of the bow arch away from the user. This type of bow has existed in history for quite long, while now it only differs in refinements and materials used to construct it. This type of bow gives more power and delivers more energy, effectively and efficiently, because of the configuration of the bow. This is the type which is recommended for beginners.
- Compound Bow – This is a complex type of bow consisting of a system of pulleys, cables, and eccentric cams. This system is responsible to assist the archer in holding the weight of the drawn string. It takes the weight off the person when the string is pulled back, therefore, it allows for accurate aim without causing muscle fatigue. They are not typically recommended for beginners due to the complexity surrounding their use.
- Long Bow – This type is also known as the traditional bow. They are the simplest type of bows, consisting of a slightly curved piece of wood, almost the same height of the archer mostly with a string attached at the limbs. They are much more difficult to use because of the lack of arrow rests or sights. This type of bow requires the most time to learn and master.
- Cross Bow – This is a less common type of bow, but it is unique in its shape and operation. These bows are drawn using crank mechanism, and they don’t fire arrows, rather quivers. Be advised though, there are restrictions on the use of this weapon which differ from place to place.
Choosing the Best Recurve Bow:
Choosing the best recurve bow is highly dependent on the mastery level of the person. It also depends on certain other factors which will be detailed below.
- For Beginners – When people are starting new in this sport, it isn’t likely that they would require the qualities and functions of an expensive and complex bow. Recurve bows are the type which is recommended for beginners due to their ease of usage. They should choose a bow that is neither too light, nor heavy. It should have a proper balance. The stick should be strong enough with a good chamber. It should give power to the user, so that range can be improved. As your skills increase, your demands on the bow will also increase. You will be able to shoot farther and more accurate. There are also many factors which will be listed below.
- For Professionals –Choosing a recurve bow for professionals is much harder as compared to beginners since they have crossed the primary stage and are looking for a weapon with more capabilities and features. If they want a bow for simple target practice, frankly any recurve bow will do. If they need one for hunting, then it is important to note that not all recurve bows are made for hunting. It depends on the draw weight of the bow rather than the actual model.
- For Hunting – As said before, not all recurve bows are suitable for hunting. It depends on the animal you are hunting. The draw weight of the bow affects the power and range of the shot. The more the draw weight, the farther and faster it will be able to travel and penetrate the skin and fat tissue of the animal. Therefore, it is advised to buy a recurve bow with at least 40 pounds minimum draw weight. This will allow you to easily hunt for rabbit, turkey or deer. But anything larger than that and you’re going to need more draw weight.
- Draw Weight –The first thing to consider when buying the best recurve bow for you is the draw weight. It is the amount of force you have to apply to the string to pull it through its range of motion. It is calculated mostly in pounds. The more the draw weight, the more powerful the shot will be. But, there is a catch to it, which is, the higher the draw weight, the harder it is to operate and handle. Beginners should check out recurve bow draw weight charts which will help them choose the most suitable bow for them.
- Take-Down Bow – A take down bow is one in which the two limbs can be separated from the riser. This helps in transportability. It makes the bow much easier to fit in a small bag. There is also another important consideration. A take-down bow is recommended greatly for beginners. This is because the limbs determine the draw weight of the bow. Suppose if you buy a 30 pounds draw weight bow, and then after some months, you wanted to upgrade to a40 pounds, you won’t have to go out to buy a full new bow, just the limbs.
- Weight – Not only the draw weight but the actual weight of the bow is also important. It affects handling and maneuverability. Keep in mind that a person has to hold the bow for extended periods of time, often with the string drawn. The lighter the bow, the better your aim will be because of will be able to hold it for extended period without straining the muscles.
- Length of Recurve – It is generally considered that the longer the length of the bow, the more accurate it is. A good scale is to get double the length of the bow compared to the draw length. Draw length is calculated by measuring the arm span while arms extended parallel to the ground, and then dividing by 2.5.
- Recurve Bow for Left-Handed –This is an important question for left handed folks and it should be understood in detail. There are many bows on the market which can be used by both left handed and right handed people. What matters more than the dominant hand is the dominant eye, since that is what you use to aim. If the person is cross dominant, it means that the dominant eye is on the opposite side of the dominant hand. What this means is that a cross dominant person with right hand dominant will have his left eye dominant. Now, this would result in parallax effect. It is the apparent displacement in the visible position of object viewed along two different lines of sight. In simpler words, it is an optical illusion that can cause problems in accuracy. An archer can easily learn the effect of the displacement due to the parallax effect in no time. Thus, both type of archers can compete at an equal level.
Top 10 Recurve Bows:
1. Samick Sage Takedown Recurve Bows
This is a very capable recurve bow which comes with a B-50 bow string and an arrow rest for the convenience and the comfort of the archer. It is suitable or useful as a bow for beginners since it is a takedown bow. This enables it to be easily transported without any problem or trouble. The design of this bow is also very impressive. The limbs are made up of hard maple with black fiberglass. This bow is made for smooth and stable shooting, for almost any suitable draw length. This bow allows for different draw weights with ease. It is great not only for targeting practice, but can also suffice for hunting. The riser has radius and made with combination of hard maple and laminated olive dymondwood for maximum durability and perfect balance for the hand. Through the brass brushings, you can install bow fishing reels, bow sights, stabilizer or plunger with elevated rest. All these are extra features and are optional to further enhance your shooting experience. Although there is no arrow rest with the sage, there is an option for ordering one with the bow. The limbs are also made in such a way that they allow for the use of modern bow strings. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B006MYK0Z8″ key=”small-light” locale=”US” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
2. PSE 10 Snake Recurve Bow
– This bow comes with a very stylish design and it is extremely lightweight to be used by people of all ages. It can even be operated by adolescents. It comes with a unique ambidextrous design which means that it can be used by both left and right hand dominant users. This makes it a very unique option, you can keep this bow and you or any of your friends or family can use it to the fullest no matter which dominant hand they have. Furthermore, this bow isn’t takedown, so it is a one time purchase only, meaning you won’t be able to change the draw weight after you’ve bought the bow. There are a couple of advantages to that also, which are that this makes the bow extremely budget friendly. Takedown bows cost more than normal ones. The draw weight is 22 pounds which makes this a perfect bow for the new archers. The height of the brace is 8 and ¾ inches. This bow will prove to be a good option for aerial target shooting or family recreation. Although you can’t go hunting with this bow, it comes with great range and penetration power. It won’t leave you unsatisfied. That is because it is one the most durable and reliable bows which has been tested under the most severe conditions but it performed every time. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B00BMQD526″ key=”small-light” locale=”US” nw=”n” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
3. Martin XR Recurve Bow
– This bow similar to the above model comes with an ambidextrous design which makes it usable for both left handed and right handed at the same time. It is a 46 inch bow featuring elevated rest and full sight window for the purpose of accurate shooting. The fully capturing arrow rests performs the job of holding the arrows in their place while you line up your shot, making it very convenient to hit the target with maximum accuracy and precision. It has 10 to 20 pounds draw weight which may not be the most among the members of this list but this makes it a good option for beginners that can easily handle a bow of this size and weight. This also has the convenient take down design like many others of this list making it easy to transport or store whenever the bow is not in use. This bow is a good option to introduce new players to the world of archery because it is very easy to use and lightweight. The quality of the bow is also very impressive. Even though it is lightweight, it has been constructed using quality materials that attest to the longevity of the product. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B00213UEYQ” key=”small-light” locale=”US” nw=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
4. Buffalo Hunting Bow
– This is a particularly impressive bow considering the design language, form and weight. It is a very useful bow especially for beginners who want to enter the world of archery. Its draw weight ranges 30 to 65 pounds, you can choose according to your preference. The draw length’s range is 29.5 to 31.5 inches. This has been designed in such a way that it can be used by both left and right handed people. It also features a very unique design, which looks very attractive and rather appealing. The artificial snake skin makes this model look very exquisite. It doesn’t only look good; in fact it is deadly accurate. You can easily aim with the bow while holding it for longer periods of time. It won’t tire your muscles as fast as some other models do. The price is also fair so all in all this makes it a very attractive option for novices and experts. It excels in hunting or target archery. You should keep in mind that is doesn’t come with removable limbs, so you will be stuck with the draw weight when you initially purchase it. So make up your mind before hand and try to experience the bow at that draw weight so that you can be sure you can comfortably use it without any problem. All this will enhance your archery experience and you will be able to learn fast. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B00DVGO1L4″ key=”small-light” locale=”US” nw=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
5. Martin Saber Takedown Bow
– This takedown recurve bow is also a worthy bow of consideration by all you beginners or professionals wanting a reliable and durable bow. It comes with many extra capabilities and features such as an advanced Saber handle with 2 integrated Vibration Vortex V.E.M.’s. There is also a thermal protective dampening grip. All this contributes to providing a vibration free shot to the user. An impressive thing about this bow is that it is one of the best options for the serious and advanced archer compared to other models because of its efficiency and extra features. It has a 30 pound draw weight which can obviously be adjusted since it is a takedown bow. That advantage is of great consideration, since it allows you to change the draw weight whenever you start feeling uncomfortable with the present draw weight. This model can be used not only for target archery but also for hunting. It can prove as a worthy weapon for a wide variety of tasks. With this bow, you can take part in any archery related activity that you like. The design is also very impressive, especially the riser which has a pseudo carbon finish that makes it look very stylish and sleek. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B00806B8XO” key=”small-light” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
6. Wildcat Takedown Recurve Bow Set
– This is a complete archery set with the Ragim Wildcat Takedown Recurve Bow that will set you on the path to leaning proper archery with the best possible equipment. This bow has been designed keeping in mind a young archer interested in becoming an expert. The set includes everything that a novice may require, like instruction book, belt quiver, arrows, etc. This bow has also been designed to grow and evolve with the user, since it is a takedown design. This design makes it a cost effective option because if in the future the person wants to upgrade to more draw weight, they wouldn’t have to go out and buy a new bow. They would just have to purchase new limbs. Still, a person should know that this bow is only meant for target practicing, not hunting so draw weight may not be that much of a factor. Concerning the design of the bow, it is a very attractive piece made with quality materials which promise long life. All these qualities make this bow a perfect option for recreational archery. It is best for archers age 8 and up. This bow comes with pre tapped holes so that you can add extra accessories that you may like. The plastic arrow rest provided with this set is extremely helpful in improving arrow launching capabilities.[easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B002MDL2DW” key=”small-light” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
7. Archery Traditional China Recurve Bow
– It is one of the top horsebows that you can presently find in the market. It comes with the draw weight range between 40-55 pounds. Maximum length of the bow is 140 cm while maximum draw length is 85 cm. if you are looking for a powerful and ready to shoot traditional bow, which also looks remarkable, then you may not find a weapon as impressive as this one. You can get this bow custom made for yourself according to the draw height and length that is most suitable for you. Aiming with this bow is a walk in the park. You can easily aim the target for longer periods of time, meaning it can also be used for hunting where it is necessary that you hold on to the arrow for a long time. It is a pure handmade wooden bow, which has been tested under severe conditions. It is made using quality material which will attest to the long life of this model. Whatever the task, target practice or hunting, there is not much doubt that this bow will prove to be a great partner for the young archer. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B00BWFWGYA” key=”small-light” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
8. Ragim Wildcat Takedown Recurve Bow 62[easyazon_image align=”left” height=”308″ identifier=”B000HDMYWM” locale=”US” nw=”n” nf=”y” src=”http://topbow.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/11GB0EWBRRL1.jpg” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″ width=”50″]–This is an Italian quality bow which leaves no doubt about the versatility of this bow. It is a very easy to use bow. It is one of the most affordable options in the market, meaning this can have you enter the world of archery very easily without spending a fortune. It has been designed to be used by all members of the family. The design of the bow is also very stylish and sleek, it just doesn’t perform its job, it also looks good while doing it. Even the most demanding archers will come to appreciate the classic design of the bow. The impressive takedown design also helps greatly in storage, transportability and evolving of the bow. This bow comes equipped with all the inserts for sight, stabilizer and all extra accessories so that you can improve the experience of archery whenever you feel like it. The bow comes with string, arrow rest and nock indicator already installed so this makes it a very convenient option that you can use right out of the box. You can even add string silencer if you feel like it. You can use this bow all day long and it won’t strain your muscles one bit. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B000HDMYWM” key=”small-light” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
9. OMP Adventure 2.0 Recurve Bow
– Here is another good option for the archers out there. This model is extremely versatile for intermediate level made for mostly recreational and target archery. It features a nice design while being very lightweight which makes handling this device very easy. Due to its design, it provides optimal performance in the field to the archer, making sure you hit all your marks at the right spot. The riser of this bow is made with hand selected Oak, hard maple and walnut. These materials give it extra durability and reliability which makes it a perfect archery partner. It has the same convenient takedown design like many others of this list. It allows you to store the device when not in use. It can also be used for beginners for the purpose of target archery. The takedown feature allows the bow to grow with the archer. As you excel in your archery skills, you may want to go hunting instead of target archery. The draw weight is necessary for efficient hunting so it’s a good thing that this machine comes with takedown limbs. This also serves as an inexpensive introduction to archery for the new user. A point to ponder is that this bow doesn’t come with any arrow rest or extras, which means you will have to go out and get them separately.[easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B0060CY2N8″ key=”small-light” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
10 . Razorback Recurve Bow
– This is also a good option for the interested person. It is a bow which is really nice for the price it demands. It has brass threaded holes to mount extras including stabilizer and other accessories which act as enhancers of your archery experience. It is a very simple to use bow. The grip of the bow is also wide and smooth so that you can easily aim. The weight of the bow is very reasonable so that it can be held for longer times without straining the muscles. Even though the arrow rest is plastic, it is fine o use and more than does the job. Also note that it is a takedown recurve which means it can collapse down for storage or transporting. It also means that you can change the limbs to increase the draw weight as soon as you start to progress. You won’t have to go out to buy a new bow. This proves that it is a very budget friendly bow, perfect for beginners. For your convenience, it is advised that along with this bow, you also get a long armguard, a padded case, a stringer, quiver, glove and a sight. This will all help you learn faster and better if you are just starting new in this game. [easyazon_cta align=”center” cloak=”n” identifier=”B0000AR1CY” key=”small-light” locale=”US” nf=”y” tag=”recurvebowamz-20″]
So we can see that many factors play into the equation when buying a good bow. People must ask themselves questions, like what are they going to use the bow for, target practicing or hunting? How much weight can they handle? How much adept are they in using bows? Do they have any previous experience of using bows? What is their budget? All these questions and many more should be asked and then, the person can easily make their mind. At that point, there is no doubt about their skill level, use, budget so a person can clearly make their mind.
Though there are many types of bows and out of which we have seen that the recurved bows have a broader applicability for various purposes. That’s why we have included the best recurve bows here to help you find your favorite archery tool. Do remember always choose a bow that has the best features you need in order to get the best results.